|Hangul||빅뱅 (Bik Baeng / Pik Paeng)|
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, hip hop, electropop, R&B, dance-pop|
Universal Music Japan, Avex/YGEX
United Asia Management
|Associated acts||GD & TOP, YG Family, 2NE1|
- Big Bang (Korean: 빅뱅 commonly stylized as BIGBANG) is a South Korean male band under the management of YG Entertainment. Formed in 2006, Big Bang has grown to become one of the most successful Asian acts in the world. The group consists of G-Dragon, T.O.P, Taeyang,Daesung and Seungri.
- Big Bang has been labeled the “Revolutionary Group of Korean Music Wave” for their unique urban-originated music and fashion style. The members’ involvement in composing and producing their own music, most notably G-Dragon’s, has earned the group respect and praise from music industry experts.
- The group’s turning point came with their hit song Lies, which stayed at number one on Korean charts for a record-breaking seven consecutive weeks. Their follow up releases, Hot Issue and Stand Up, furthered their success, spawning hits such as Last Farewell and Haru Haru. From 2007 to 2008, Big Bang received many awards, including “Best Male Group”, “Song of the Year”, “Artist of the Year”, and the Grand Award at the Seoul Music Awards.
- From 2009 to 2010, Big Bang expanded their endeavors to Japan, and were voted “the Korean group that Japanese fans wish to see the most”. They became the first foreign group awarded “Best Newcomer” from the Japan Cable Broadcasting Station and “Best New Artist” at MTV Japan. Amidst their Japanese group promotions, the members branched out to do solo activities. Taeyang, G-Dragon, and Seungri have released solo albums. G-Dragon and T.O.P also collaborated on an album under the sub-unit GD & TOP. Seungri and Daesung have acted in both TV dramas and musicals. T.O.P became a highly acclaimed film star. Daesung also hosted many of Korea’s most popular variety TV shows.
- After nearly a two-year hiatus in Korea, Big Bang reunited in 2011 with their successful album Tonight. However, promotions were cut short when multiple members encountered legal issues. In November 2011, representing the Asia-Pacific region, Big Bang emerged as the inaugural “Best Worldwide Act” winner at the 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards. This was the first time in six months all five members were seen together. In 2012, Big Bang released their fifth Mini Album Alive in Korea and Japan. They are currently embarking on their first ever World Tour visiting twenty-five cities in sixteen countries.